Saturday 7 June 2014

The Saturday after the Saturday before

I have been very reflective this week and I was lying in bed last night thinking about how different I feel from a week ago. This time last week I had just found out I was joint winner of the Sunlounger 2 competition. I probably had a glass of champagne in my hand right at this moment last week. I think it is fair to say that this time last week I was in a daze. It seemed to only really sink in a few days later that I had actually won. I had won a writing competition. It is simply amazing.

Because I shared the competition results on my Facebook, some people at work now know about my writing. I cannot tell you how strange it is to talk openly about how long I have been writing, what I am writing and how my writing it going. It wasn't that I thought people would laugh or ridicule my dream to be a writer, it was more I was scared if I told people and it came to nothing then I would have to admit I gave up on my dream. If does feel quite pressured to have people asking how often I write or how much I have written that week but actually some friendly pressure will be good for me. I know I am more productive when I am accountable so now people in my day to day life know about my writing, it can only be a good thing.

I do feel different in myself. I think about writing and I feel excitement because I do now feel so much more confident in myself. Don't get me wrong, there will be times I will doubt myself and I'll feel every word is pure rubbish on the page. But I just feel like I need to keep plodding on, plotting and writing and editing and see where it takes me.

I have met some lovely new people including my fellow Sunlounger winner Ella Fairlie who was also a secret writer outed by her win. The writing community on twitter has always been amazing but I am so thankful my circle of writer and book blogger friends has grown on there. I am so excited (and a little nervous!) to hear what everyone thinks of my story when Sunlounger 2 is published on the 21st of June!

June is going to be such an exciting month with the ebook release and it is my third blog birthday on the 13th of June! My poor blog has been through a lot, from the highs of NaNoWriMo to the lows of self-doubt but I hope to be a bit more regular posting on here. It is possibly going to be a bit of a shocking month for my writing though. In the world of us teachers it is report writing time. Reports are always a killer as to do them well takes hours and hours but none of the usual work that keeps you busy most of the time stops. I looked at a couple earlier and they average 1,200 words to 1,300 words per child and I have 26 children in my class. By my maths, that is over 30k of writing but alas, not on my WIP! So I am going to focus on getting them written and enjoying the ride of Sunlounger 2 being published and not beat myself up if I don't make headway with my WIP until July. CampNaNoWriMo is running again in July so that might be a possibility if I am feeling brave!

Speaking of reports, I better go and do some!
Have lovely Saturdays,
E.x

No comments:

Post a Comment