Sunday 14 April 2013

ROW80 Check-in 14th April 2013

Well, this week has been a mixed bag of success. I think a little goal change is in order!

Here were my goals for this week:

1) Read as much as possible aiming for at least TWO books a week.

2) Read through my chick-lit first draft and make notes. At least an hour and a half of this each week.

3) Write a ROW80 check-in each Sunday.

Goal One
I managed to read two books this week (books 19 and 20 of the year) and am halfway through a third. I have also started a non-fiction book given to me which I will read alongside the fiction one. I got lots of reading done but was hoping for more to make up some ground on my 100 books in a year challenge but I feel happy with how this week has gone with this goal.

Goal Two
This goal hasn't gone so well. I have many issues with myself as a writer. One issue is I am worse at getting things done if I have time on my hands. I haven't been at work this week and yes, I have had plans but I could have done lots of reading of my WIP, but I didn't. I did that age old thing of putting it off till tomorrow and then crammed some in today. I read through 5 chapters of my WIP today in half an hour so I am an hour short for this goal. I do seem to struggle to get in a writing habit unless I am in a NaNoWriMo situation so I think this goal needs some tweaking. I am going to change my goal to reading my WIP for ten minutes each day. This is completely do-able and of course I can do more than ten minutes but that is at least an hour and ten minutes of reading a week and will hopefully help me develop a habit of doing something every day.

Linked to this goal is the good news that I found the end of my WIP in a bag of writing things in my flat. I genuinely have no recollection of handwriting the end of my WIP but I am so relieved I found it! I found some bits I like in my WIP in the chapters I read today but again, lots of painful notes to myself. If I write 'Show don't tell' enough hopefully it will sink in?! My favourite note to my self from this week is 'Needs sexier co-worker then old lady?' Sometimes I amaze myself!

Goal Three
Done!

So, not a terrible week but definitely could do better! Here are my goals for the week ahead:
1) Read as much as possible aiming for at least TWO books a week.

2) Read through my chick-lit first draft and make notes. At least ten minutes a day.


3) Write a ROW80 check-in each Sunday.


I hope you all have had wonderful weeks and good luck for the week ahead!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Em, it looks like you have tackled your weekly goals well enough. Perhaps some tweaking, as you say, but in general, you look like you're doing well there.

    I know what you mean about the way NaNoWriMos can push us to write more. I'm not sure that's all that good though. Maybe instead of a whole month, you could plan weekly binges such as a week-long "Word Race" and do this one week on, one week off until you've gotten used to writing more often for shorter periods of time?

    Just a thought... (one I intend to try myself now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a word race. I may try it too.
    I know what you mean Em about not writing when you actually have time to do it. I am behind with my writing and I am doing Camp Nanowrimo.
    Great work on your goals and good luck for the coming few days. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have the problem of being less efficient when I'm off work... But you did read a lot, so that's something! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete