Sunday 20 May 2012

Row80 Check-in 20th May 2012

One of these days my friends I am sure I will check-in and actually achieve all my goals. Like I used to....remember those good old days? Well this week hasn't seen much more success through one reason or another. On Monday I sat down and wrote 279 words and that is all I have written this week. Many reasons why, I won't bore you with them now but getting into the habit of daily writing is proving hard at the moment.

I have thought alot about why I am struggling to make myself sit down and write and yes work is busy but it is only going to get busier. I think it is because I am heading towards writing The End and I kind of know I am rushing it as well as heading into my first ever time editing something which terrifies me.

But I have a plan.

I have two more weeks of School and then a week off (side bar - when my niece or nephew is due!) and then after that the first few weeks of school are all consuming with reports to write for each child, sports' day to organise and practise for, parents evenings, new children visiting amongst other things! Therefore after said week off I am no doubt going to struggle to write but doesn't everyone say once you write The End you should leave your WIP alone for a while? So really that would be a natural break. So really I need to finish my WIP in the next three weeks.

I am DETERMINED to do this!!

It seems mad since my writing has been so patchy but I am putting it out there, declaring my intent and I know you will all be supportive and I really feel like I can do it!

So, my slightly changed goals (note the lack of exercise.....)

1) By 11th of June have a finished first draft of my WIP.
2) Test mile - 250 words a day. (1,750 words in a week)
3) Read two books a week for 100+ reading challenge (or as much as I can!).
4) Review one book a month.
I am reading book 36 of the year and technically should be finishing book number 40 today so a bit behind but still in the game!! I was thinking of reviewing Insurgent for my May book but I am sooooo worried about accidently spoiling it even if I am careful so I will pick another book.

Oooooh....I just realised it is my blog's first birthday on the 13th of June! Finishing my WIP before then would be a lovely birthday present!!

I hope everyone is fully in the swing of the round by now and I look forward to chekcing out how everyone is getting on!

9 comments:

  1. I believe in you, Em! You can do it! Go, Em, go!
    And, yeah, don't spoil Insurgent LOL I haven't read it yet and won't for a while, since I have around 70 unread books on my kindle yet lol
    Good luck, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you sit down at the keyboard or tablet and give the writing top priority then, without a doubt, you will succeed. If. That, my dear, is always up to you. Tough love, friend, go write and you win *soft smile*

    While I have to agree that a certain amount of time away from a first draft is a good idea, time away from writing is not. As you are seeing, it is hard to get that flow back once it is stepped away from. Been there myself, many many times - a lesson of hard experience. During that waiting time maybe the Nano project or just playing with some stories ideas would be a good way to stay in the swing of things and let your mind ease down before edits.

    All the best to you, Em, I know you will succeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, can't believe you've been blogging for a year... it doesn't seem that long ago I was trying to convince you it was a good thing. Although, looking at how well you're doing & how confident you are, I can't believe it's ONLY been a year.
    How many words do you think you have to get in the 3 weeks? It's good to have a goal! Good luck, I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I was just thinking about the days when I also used to complete all my goals, but we'll get back there again! You've got lots of exciting stuff going on (new niece or nephew!), but the prospect of THE END is also a wonderful one. Don't let it scare you too much - it would be a lovely way to celebrate your blog's b'day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it Em! And we are all here cheering you on! I also am trying to get in the habit of writing every day in my WiP. Even if it is just 100 words, it is still something, right?! And each day I do that, I am closer to making it a habit, like having cereal for breakfast. It will be something I just do! Writing The End can be scary, but it can also be freeing. You will have one book done--DONE. And that is an exciting feeling because you have accomplished something huge by finishing! And just think, then you can start another.... (I love beginnings just as much as I love endings! lol) Have a great week and hope to see you in some sprints this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Em. Glad that you have a set goal and a plan to get there, but I'm going to add my voice to Gene's here. Don't stop writing (or exercising) completely during your time away from your story. Either start a new project (even if it's just brainstorming and questioning) or write flash fiction (there are some awesome sites out there, the word counts are short...plus they are fun).

    Participate in the One Minute Writer challenges... Or the #3WW (Three Word Wednesday). Just don't stop; ease back.

    You can do it. You have a cheering squad across the world, Em. You can do it. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited that you're nearing the end!! I know it can be a little scary, but try not to stress too much. A lot of people cripple themselves because they want it to be spectacular. It's better to just finish and not be crippled for weeks. Type out the end the best that you can and remember that there is editing and revising and rewriting. (AND I SAY THESE ARE GOOD THINGS AND NOT MORE THINGS TO BE SCARED OF LOL!!) You can do it :D And we'll all do cartwheels for you when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go girl go - you can do it and we will cheer you across the finish line: all the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps a bit of a different perspective here on writing breaks and ending writing projects. Only you know what is comfortable and as you say, all will support you in your writing style, whatever it may be as it is always evolving.

    I write to find out what I am thinking and every day, my morning writing is mine. Sometimes, I'll work on a project but it is always my choice. I do write everyday but I do not always work on a writing project.

    Hope this week was a good one for you.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete