Monday 11 July 2011

A little bit of inspiration....

I had all kinds of lovely things I planned to write about here tonight as this was one of the only nights I would have time to post my non check-in blog of the week and then guess what? Life has got in the way! Well work has. I am in a foul mood but after writing this I will go and do my 30 minutes of writing for today and writing this post checks off one of my 3 posts for the week (2 check-ins and 1 non check-in). So is not all gloom and doom.

Two things I am inspired by this week.

1) The 'Write Anything' prompt for this friday is:
"Your character is at work and prints something personal or sensitive. Unfortunately, they realise they sent it to the wrong printer and,unable to cancel it, by the time they get to the printer, it has disappeared. Now keep writing."

When I saw this I was immediately excited about using it as a prompt but I am going to hold off and do it on the train on friday as I am going away and it will be the perfect thing to scribble in a notebook as I travel.
(See my blog roll for the link to this site if it interests you)

2) As I have mentioned many a time I am reading 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' by John Irving for my book club (first meeting this friday!). I am really getting into the book and put in some serious reading over the weekend so am on page 505 of 637 so am getting there!

A sentence from it made me beam the other day and gave me a nice warm feeling. After his friend shows a complete lack of interest in reading a particular book, Owen Meany says to him:

"WHY SHOULDN'T YOU BE INTERESTED IN SOMEONE WHO'S WORKED OUT A WAY TO SEE THE WORLD? THAT'S WHAT MAKES WRITERS INTERESTING!" Page 331.

I write in capitals as all of Owen's dialogue is written in capitals. I love the idea that a writer is someone who has worked out a way to see the world. It doesn't matter what way they see the world but they have developed their own way of doing so. I love this!

Ok, off to do my 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I like that idea, too. Thanks for including the quotation. I've never read Owen Meany, but the line makes me curious enough to do so.

    And I love that prompt. I may have to see what I can do with it. Thanks for that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have some brilliant prompts over on their site which often take me out of my comfort zone.

    Am going to include another quote in my ROW80 check-in today so keep an eye out for that!

    ReplyDelete